Thursday, July 10, 2014
1. We snuck away for a long weekend to the other side of the state for hiking in Hocking Hills. A Co-worker of Hubby's rented his place to us for cheaper than one night at a local hotel. It was quiet and peaceful and us city folks had a relaxing time.
2. We spent the money and went ziplining. We had a great time. The heights made me nervous, but as long as I was hanging on to "something".
Linking up with Catholic Mom
Thursday, July 03, 2014
Happy Thursday/Fake Friday,
It has been a busy few weeks. I started a new contract job. I feel so blessed. The old job was 25 Miles North of home and the department is in massive cost-cutting mode. I was not sure my contract was extended. It was a not-quite the last minute, but a new opportunity located 6 mile from home appeared. This is significant because in August when my 14YO starts high school, we will need to get him to and from school. This job is between home and school.
Also this week, the same 14YO is attending conditioning and pre-season workouts for soccer. The 6-9 puts a crimp in planning dinnertime.
So, my successes:
1) 6:20 AM right now and I have chicken baking. The 14YO may or may not eat it, but I can throw it in the freezer for lunches or quick dinner. I am cooking at odd times so we can grab and go.
2) I am trying to quit milk or cream in my coffee. I struggle with my weight and pre-diabetes. Every little calorie counts. I am striving for health. Now I need to make exercise a priority.
3) Getting my footing at the new job.
Linking up at Catholic Mom.
Thursday, June 19, 2014
It has been a good week with my new job, other than the fact that this post is from my phone.
* started this new job. So far I am enjoying it. I have made an effort to introduce myself to others in the office. Most of the people I will be working with are in other locations. I tested this morning and I am able to access corporate systems remotely, meaning I can run Friday's migration job from home.
* My eldest son is getting married in August. It will be a small wedding, so our guest list was limited. My son was disappointed he could not invite extended family members such as my cousins and their families, so we are throwing a party a week later. I got invitation out this week and have table decorations planned out. Now it is a matter of stopping by Hobby Lobby frequently to get a pkg of battery-operated tea lights with my 40% off coupon.
*We've cooked dinner at home every night this week. The streak will be broken tonight as Hubby has golf league and the 14yo has both a bass guitar lesson and the band practice tonight.
linking up with Catholic Momwww.Catholicmom.com
Thursday, June 12, 2014
My parents went home Monday after staying here for 10 day. They are great to have around, Mom will cook dinner for me. (I try to have it planned), but I feel bad about sitting around on my laptop in the evenings. And then, even though school is out, The High School band is practicing 2 nights a week, toos in a meeting for Freshman, Hubby is the booster org president, I volunteered to assist with fitting marching uniforms and seem to have taken over as secretary... Evening last week were busy.
At work I am transitioning my responsibilities as tomorrow will be my last day at this position. i will be moving to another contract position that is closer to home and requesting a prayer or two that it leads to a permanent position, or at least longer than 3 months...
So my successes are revolving around taking care of me. This Mom who works outside the home has a ahrd time with that.
1. Made an appointment to redeem the gift certificate Hubby gave me for Mother's day for a Massage. That is tomorrow night.
2. I went and had a pedicure last night. My toes nails were getting long and I tend to tear rather than cut. And when I cut, they are not straight.
3. I am recognizing when I am stress-eating. I may not be stopping it as much as I should, but I am recognizing it when I am in the middle of it.
Linking up with Catholic Mom.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
1. My work is currently on a contract basis. I work in IT and have been at the same company as a contractor since October 2012. All last year every three months my contract was renewed. In December, I was convinced I was not going to be renewed when 2 days before the end, I was notified that my manager was able to renew me, and for 6 months. Lately I have watched other contractors being terminated early as part of a massive cost-cutting effort. I am trying to put it all in God's hands. I am being contacted about other opportunities. So I do feel like I am being looked after. Fortunately Hubby's job is well-paying with benefits. My pay is used to pay DS14's high school tuition and extras.
2. I got myself out of bed M&W and did a quick workout on my rowing machine. A few weeks ago we moved out a couch that was simply a catch-all for the 14YO's stuff. I did not like going down there. Now that it is a bit more organized, I am more willing to spend time down there.
3. Well.. I have been doing what is expected of me. Making dinner, going to work and focusing on what I am there for, looking after my family, did laundry over the weekend...
Linking up with Catholic Mom.
Thursday, April 10, 2014
This week is a culminating week in our house. Hubby has been putting a lot of time and effort into studying for a certification test his company wants him to have. This is the second of 2 two test. The first test he passed in the Fall on his third sitting for it. This time we sprung for a preparation class. This time around he also did a class. This was 5 weeks of having both Friday and Saturday ties up from 11 AM – 6:30 (with a 1.5 hour break 2:00-3:30). I have been trying to hold down the fort at home. But this week, I have been feeling the stress of trying to help him as much as I can as well as stuff going on at the office. But so far I have done a pretty good job of keeping it together. I did snap Monday night that I had had a not-so-great day as we were lightly bickering about what “who does what” with dirty dishes in the kitchen.
I would really like to put out more of my Easter decorations, but I am trying to be mindful that it is still Lent. But Spring is starting to make itself know outside and I am ready to bring it inside. But I am taking it slow…
I have managed to cook dinner for my family every night. I did not plan last night so I ended up with Breakfast for dinner. Even though Hubby has been home, he has been heads down studying. He did call Tuesday to ask if I wanted him to do something with the chicken breasts thawing in the fridge. I was able to bring myself to say ‘Keep studying, I will make something when I get home.” Once home and cooking, the 14YO asked “what are you making”. I responded, “I don’t know, I am winging it”. And no complaints were heard…
Linking up with Catholic Mom
Thursday, March 27, 2014
My husband graduated from the University of Dayton in 2005. We were married with 2 kids, so I take credit for supporting him during that time. So I am proudly wearing one of his UD shirts in honor of their appearance in a Sweet 16 game tonight.
But this week has felt rather routine, even though it is a new routine. My 14YO's rec soccer league started practices. We got an email Sunday form the coach that practice would be Tuesday. Sunday was busy with his band concert, so Monday we went to buy new cleats, etc. We went to the Soccer store near us and brought home a pair of cleats that cost north of $160. One of those I did not realize until I was looking at the receipt since we also got a goalie jersey and gloves. Good grief, for Recreational soccer. So took my Lunch hour on Tuesday to the big-box sporting goods store near my office and found a reasonable-priced Men's sized 13 soccer cleats. My son declared them good and I returned the expensive ones.
I have been making my breakfast this week and lunch 3 of the 4 day since lunch out was planned for Wednesday. Sometime sit is hard to do that. I am also trying ta eat an apple per day. I am not much of a fruit eater. Give me vegetables instead.
Actually made an appointment to have my hair cut on Saturday. I like to keep my hair short. But I hate making the stupid appointment. But it is done and scheduled for Saturday.
Why does this all seem so lame.. I guess I am getting up each day and going to work, the kitchen is stocked with food to keep us from starving, my son is getting to the places and activities he wants to. So I am accomplishing my mission as wife and Mom.
Linking up with Catholic Mom