Band Parents

Band Parents

Friday, December 14, 2007

Self Preservation tactics of kids

On Wednesday evening, Hubby was out of town. DS12 had Wrestling practice. So the 8 yo and I headed to the Mall. I had some stuff the return. I had to make a scene to get my money back. I was a bit embarrassed about it, but then I'd stick my hands in my pocket and feel the money and feel a little bit better. I led my son outside and in through another door explaining that I wanted to avoid these sales-robots. And for the next 20 minutes I'd proceed to talk about how frustrating that experience was and how angry I was getting. My 8 YO offered me some good advice how when hes mad about something he thinks about something good in order to help him get out of it.

The was nary a whine out of him. He's been in a whiney stage for the last year or so and so dramatice about showing his displeasure with something I wanted to do with sighs, hanging of his head and the rolling of his eye. I did not see any of that this particular evening. It was actually delightful hanging out with him.

I find it amazing how they go through stages. Some stages I can take and others just drive me batty. Fortunately, Hubby and I differ as to which stages we handle better than others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maggie, just wait for the stage where they don't want to be seen with you. Usually happens around 14 or so. I can remember taking my boys shopping and having them walk 20 feet in front of me (ignoring me for the most part). It took about 6 years for them to walk beside me again.