Band Parents

Band Parents

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Morning Routine with an ADHD-er

This is a new routine for us. Dad started his new job this week and needs to be at work by 7:00 AM and he has to drive 30 miles. That used to be my territory. So My alarm still goes off at 4:45 and I have been going to the gym. Dad gets up at 5:30 showers and eats breakfast. At 6 Am he wakes the boys and ensures that the ADHD pre-teen gets his patch on. Then he’s out the door. I get out of the shower. The 7YO is often dressed and bugging his brother who may or may not be in a state of undress. So I remind him to get dressed.

 

Both boys make it out to the kitchen form breakfast.

Mom: “Who wants an egg?”

11 YO:” Me want cereal” Mom cringes. Why cereal? I believe he does so much better with more protein. I’m going to not buy cereal next week.

 

7 YO: “I want a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel, but only half a slice of cheese today.” (Tomorrow, I am going to have him cook the eggs. Train ‘em young!)

 

11 YO: “AAAAAAAAAA, EEEEEEEE, XXXXXXXX”

7 YO “Stop it”

11 YO: “YYYYYYY, ZZZZZZZ”

Mom: “B, please stop”

11 YO: “SSSSSSS, PPPPPPP”

Mom: “B- Please Stop”

11 YO “JJJJJJJJ, LLLLLLLLL”

Mom: “I said Please stop”

11 YO “XXXXXXXX, YYYYYYYYY”

Mom: (screaming) Would you stop that?

 

 

Mom: B, what are you doing? Come out here and clean up from your breakfast.

Mom: A, go brush your teeth

Pause

Mom:"B, come out here”

And so on…

 

6:55 rolls around. The 7 YO goes out to wait for the bus. Where is the 11 YO? Still in his room.  This week he has safety patrol so I am driving him.

 

Mom: “B, lets go!”

He comes out putting on his belt, no shoes, still has to get his drum kit (band today). Mom is in tears. With now leaving an hour and a half later, the traffic is awful. I need to figure out how to deal with this. Maybe I’m doing too much in the morning trying to get dinner partially fixed, fixing my lunch, getting on the computer…  

No comments: