Band Parents

Band Parents

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gotta shake these blues

Over the weekend I realized that I leave my house between 5:30 and 5:40 (AM) and I arrive home between 5:30 and 5:40 (PM). Yuck! Then when we spend all day Sunday at a wrestling meet, not wonder I am feeling like the house is falling apart.

I does not help that it is mostly cloudy with very little sunlight these last few days in SW Ohio. Hubby is frustrated with his job. He is being pressured to put in more hours at work (yes he gets OT), but he's not really thrilled with the design work he's doing as an Engineer. He would like to spend 50% of his time at his desk designing Heating and Air system and another 50% int he field. He's not really getting that chance. And he's not the type to put in 60 hours a week. Many of the folks he works with do not get that he is the one home more.

He also has the task of getting the boys up and ready every morning. He is not a morning person. Last night he was complaining about it. It is a hassle. The 11YO is ADHD. In the morning that translates to being highly distractable. Is take a lot of work to keep him moving so he is ready to catch the bus. The 7YO is self motivated and will get up, get drerssed and fix his breakfast, but he also revels in pushing his brother's buttons. So while Dad is in the shower, the 7YO is distracting his brother and a shouting match ensues. Dad gets out of the shower and adds his voice because the 11 YO is still not dressed and he is running out of time.

A year ago, before my current job, I was getting the boys on the bus. However, I am the morning person. I'd get up, go to the gym at 5:00, return home at 6:45, jump in the shower. Then I would wake the boys. Dad has thought about gettingup earlier to shower before waking up the 11 YO, but he finds he cannot achieve that. And so it goes.

I could leave the house at 6:30. That would give Dad time to get out of the shower, but becasue of traffic, it would most likely add some time to my commute. I'd have to drop my carpool. Hopefully I could get to work by 7:30, then I would leave at 4:30. That may work. I think I'll do a test run next Tuesday. My Carpool partner is taking a class Tuesday evenings, so we do not carpool that day.


Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

gosh that is tough! commuting is tough. my twin's hubby is gone at least 12 hours a day - sometimes more. it is soooo hard on everyone. I sure hope something gives for you all and improves things.

thank you for your wonderful comment today! :)

Aunt Murry said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping b my blog. Hang in there you'll find a solution.