Band Parents

Band Parents

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Super reader

I have a super-reader at home. My soon to be 7 yo First Grader read a Magic Tree House book about the Titanic. And he correctly answered questions about the Titanic.

 

Now, I was reading when I was in First Grade. My Mother claims I read to the class. I don’t remember that. Hubby is an avid reader. The 11 YO son likes to read when he is calm enough to sit still. Some he has had some great examples. But I am surprised. We never worked with him. Although I noticed this summer that his ability to read signs just seemed to explode overnight. It’s been a while since he asked me what a string of letters spells.

 

This summer at the bookstore he begged me to buy him some of the Captain Underpants books by Dav Pilkey. His brother’s copies were falling apart. Since those are part text and part comic books, I did not think he was “really” reading them. Oops! I guess I was wrong.

 

So last night I handed him a Hardy Boys book and told him I thought he might like it. His brother never read those. It was my Second Grade teacher who introduced me to Nancy Drew.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like just a normal kid, a super reader, for example, would have read the complete works of Tolkien by the age of 7.

He'd be reading a book a day, getting funny looks from librarians for what he is reading, that sort of thing.